Friday, April 16, 2010

Quilters Gone Wild

I went on a retreat last weekend, emphasis on the 'treat.'
Photobucket
Hosted by my gal pal Margaret Spevak of "Quilting with Margaret." Twenty-four ladies trekked to Bristol Harbor in the finger lakes for three days of non-stop sewing and other fun. This panoramic view of the lake was what we looked at all day from our sewing tables.

Photobucket
We made quite the productive mess. Amazingly, this snapshot shows less than half of the tables set up in the hotel's ballroom.

Photobucket
Here's my old Singer. Mom gave it to me several years ago, she bought it in high school. It still works perfectly.

Photobucket
I whipped up a quilted shoulder tote, with little yellow birds (a Bright Eyes reference) for my daughter Margaret.

I don't do much quilting. I think it's kinda weird. You take big pieces of fabric, chop them into little bits of fabric and then painstakingly sew the whole mess back into big pieces of fabric. Snort.
Photobucket
I also patched together a big, double sided, seat cover from vintage upholstery fabrics to recover the ratty pillow that the dogs nap on. And even made a fabric flower out of some of my scraps.

Photobucket
This is my second year at this springtime event - already I cannot wait for next year.

No comments: