Saturday, April 24, 2010

Bug Off

What is that?
Photobucket
It's a bug body.
Photobucket
It needed to be photographed before trying to take it off the mandrel. With all the attached bits and frail little legs I am afraid that it will disintegrate when I start pawing at it.
Photobucket
I am loving learning to make more sculptural beads with the torch. There is no plan, I am just making it up as I go along. Does anyone know of some books that would help me with techniques? I hardly need to re-invent the wheel, as they say. Classes at Corning would be great but my checkbook just won't allow it.

There are also some thorns, pods and other bugs to share with you as the week goes on.
Photobucket
The plan is to make this into a pendant with a head and butt made of gems and pearls.
Photobucket
The little spiky legs are Double Helix Triton. The bulbous body is Opalino Nile green with spots of Cim's Peacock and intense black. The wings are pale transparent pink with wisps of Double Helix Gaia to give them an iridescent sheen.
Photobucket
A field of daffodils in the park behind my house.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I love the bug body! Sculpting is great fun, and I taught myself, mostly. It's a challenge figuring out how to lay down the right footprint of glass and manipulate it into the shape you want. As always, your pick the best color combinations. :)