Sunday, February 20, 2011

Fuschia & Forsythia






























Book 3 page 3: Fuschia pendants.

Sketches for floral beads made on the end of mandrel. The lower drawing was just added this morning. Has anyone tried sticking a short glass headpin into a molten bead? It would look so cool. I wonder, would you stick the wire in and then make the ball on the end? Or, could you make the ball and then insert the head pin?

Trial and error baby, trial and error.






























Book 3 page 8: Forsythia

This became a big yellow necklace that I donated to a charity auction.
You can see the beads here and the necklace here.

2 comments:

Numinosity said...

Beautiful sketches, works of art in themselves I think.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking about the head pin. you could make the head pin separately and add after everything is cooled I think.
I think it would be some crazy juggling while everything is hot at once.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower, I've really been enjoying yours.
xoxo Kim

Gardanne said...

Been there done that. I stuck a finished cool headpin in a hot bead and after they annealed the headpin had broken. The kiln was too hot to put in a cool bead. You could make the headpin and hold it in the kiln until you were ready to use it, that way it would be hot enough. What I would do is stick in the wire and make the ball of glass on the end of the headpin It would actually be easier than making a headpin on the wire alone, because you would have a mandrel and have more control.
When you have your own studio you can try so many new things!!!