Thursday, March 12, 2009

the noxema blues

as i wrote in the last post, the plan was to make a set of monochromatic beads with organic shapes.
Photobucket
before setting out for more fire glass studio i doodled up a page of possible forms - a sort of cheat sheet to work from as i torched.

happy with my quick sketch i set about choosing a color. standing in front of my glass stash it took about a minute to decide - intense transparent blue. a color i completely neglect. it is a vivid blue that reminds me of old cobalt blue glass noxema cold cream jars - or evening in paris parfum bottles like my grandmother had oodles of on her dressing table. i used up all that i had on hand - seven rods.

my shapes ended up being a little more decorative and fanciful than the ones in the sketch. most of them are big plump pods with applied leaves, lots of bumps, lobes and ruffles.

and the cherry on the top of tonight's torching sundae? i finished the evening with a really big nasty house fly. i have no idea why i was inspired to make a lampwork fly but it sure was fun.

3 comments:

Nancy Topolski delicately perched said...

I can't wait to see the blue beads!
Looking forward to onday, I stupidly went on the 9th :(

Steph said...

Ooooooooooooh me want to see them!

Anonymous said...

Love your sketches~I do the same thing otherwise I tend to panic as the glass starts to melt thinking that I have to make the most magnificent thing ever and then end up with a truly wonky bead. lol! Oooh, you've inspired my next post! :)