Thursday, December 27, 2007

pinot noir grapes II

the second pinot noir grapes painting.

Photobucket

something i like about this painting is that it almost looks like fabric.

below is the original photograph that the painting was worked from.
Photobucket

the underpainting and early sketching.
Photobucket

fully sketched in and ready to start blocking in the colors.
Photobucket

adding leaf shapes and other elements.
Photobucket

underpainting the grape bunches.
Photobucket

more paint.
Photobucket

and more paint.
Photobucket

almost done - this is my favorite part, the fiddling with details.
Photobucket

finished
Photobucket

details from the finished painting.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

next painting, coffee plants?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! your painting is beautiful. I found you from jo's blog. I noticed you use GAC700. how do you use it? I am in the process of teaching myself.

off to see more of your beautiful blog.

Sue

lotusgreen said...

i am so happy to share enthusiasms with you--thanks for telling me. i love your work, and am impressed by the breadth of media you work beautifully with.

belvedere beads said...

good morning sue:

gac 700 is an paint additive, or conditioner, made by golden acrylics to be used with acrylic paints. you simply add some gac 700 too your paints and it makes them more "buttery" to work with, shiny and somewhat transparent - the more you add the more transparent and shiny the paint.

a lot of the time i want my paint to be like a transparent color glaze, gac lets you dilute the paint without making it thin and watery.

each golden additive does different things. some make the paint dull,
some make it very stiff so you have dimensional effects, some change the drying time. experiment and find the one you like best.

thanks for the wonderful comment,
lucinda

Unknown said...

lucinda..thank you for the information. I have used golden gel medium, glaze, matte medium and a bit of the tar gel but I haven't used the GAC products yet. GAC 700 sounds like a must have. I really like the new earrings you've posted.

Pat said...

This is so interesting, to see the painting evolve, I love the detail pictures where you can see all the different colours which make one grape!! Thank you for the comments on my sunflowers.