Sunday, August 08, 2010

Two of Anything Make a Great Pair of Earrings

I don't know about you but I make a lot of earrings.

Flaming big focal beads is great fun - but the meat and potatoes of bead making is cranking out pair after pair of matching beads. Nice little twosomes that I, or someone else, can make earrings out of.





























On a day  that is going to be an 'earring day' I like to choose a shape and then torch them in as many different color variations as I can come up. You can make your pairs on the same mandrel - it's so much easier to make them match if you make them at the same time.

Earrings pairs are also a great way to use up some of your short rods of glass.
This pair was made with Cim's plum and Double Helix's Psyche and Aurae.



























I have a two shows coming up so I need to get into earring production mode. There are some new designs that are all set and I cannot wait to make the beads for them and then wrap and pound them into earrings.

Lots of people are always hanging around in my booth and lamenting* that my earrings are too big. So, I am struggling to come up with some smaller designs that are still interesting. I mean really, who wants to wear a dangling pair of plain old spacer sized beads?

I've never met a pair of earring that I thought were too big to wear - go big or go home - that's what I say. Can you believe that a lot of women will not wear anything bigger than a pea? What could I make for them?

* isn't lamenting a much nicer way to say that they were whining?

3 comments:

Amy F said...

I'm with you - I can get teeny little earrings any ole place - If I'm getting hand beaded/made stuff, I want it to make a statement!

Christine said...

Seriously. Why wear those teeny little things on your ears when you can really show off some gorgeous work? Personally, I love your earrings, and I'd totally wear them. :)

Pretty Things said...

Those seriously rock.