Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Amulets

I found some extraordinary vintage rosaries last week - each one a treasure.























On the left is an old sterling silver one with glass pearls and the one on the right has gorgeous sky blue crystals.

The one  in the center is the fascinating - it is an infants christening rosary.

It's so sweet with the tiny, primary colored glass beads for amusing the baby. The back of the crucifix is stamped Italy.
I am not even a wee bit catholic but, as amulets, they really speak to me.
They're all up on etsy.

Awhile back - Stephanie of Vlad the Bats Attic - recommended this book to me. It is something of an obsession. My copy has become very dog-eared from frequent re-reads and raids for inspiration.





















Every paragraph leads your mind off into some thoughtful reverie and a new idea for a necklace. And the artifacts pictured are so gorgeous. So, if you're into this sort of powerful thing - then this book is for you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

They are lovely! And this book is on my wish list...guess it's time to move it to the must have now list!!

Steph said...

Ohhh great rosaries!
This book is awesome, isn't it? Mine is dog-eared too! I wish I could find another book like this with more pictures! You should add 'A World of Necklaces' to your wishlist ... it's quite pricey but it's worth the price!

Gardanne said...

These rosaries are beautiful. Great seeing you the other day, I will try and stop in more often, talk to you soon about the conference it would be great to meet up with you there.